If you love getting out on your bike and doing your part for the environment while logging in some healthy exercise, you are not alone. If you are harmed by a motorist’s negligence in the process, however, it can leave you facing significant losses that can be exceptionally difficult to overcome.
Have you been injured on a bicycle? When it’s the fault of someone’s negligence, reach out to a bicycle accident lawyer in Georgia. Contact us at The Larrison Law Firm Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorneys by calling 770-626-7895 or reach out online.
Representing Injured Bicycle Riders
Because your vulnerability is so significant when you are on your bike, it is important to take every available precaution to help you offset the associated risk. Consider the following:
- When you are on your bike, you are more difficult to see, which makes using a front and rear light and wearing bright, reflective clothing paramount.
- Because motorists are unpredictable – and often dangerously distracted – it’s important to proceed as if drivers do not see you.
- Make it your policy to steer clear of motorists’ blind spots.
- Remember that you are also vulnerable to dooring accidents from the right – when vehicle occupants open their doors into the street – which makes remaining alert to parked cars essential.
- While bike lanes do offer you a designated space to ride, the degree of protection they provide can be negligible, which you should not lose sight of.
- Erring on the side of caution is always to your advantage when you are on a bike.
Regardless of your vulnerability as a bike rider, the motorists whom you share the road with have a serious responsibility to your safety that should not be ignored in the face of a bicycle accident claim.
Bicycle Accidents From Driver Negligence
When you are on your bike, you can mix with the flow of traffic, but you have absolutely nothing to protect yourself from the physical blow of an accident – other than your helmet.
Dangerous bike accidents are often the result of negligence on the part of motorists with whom bike riders share the road, and such negligence comes in all the following life-threatening forms:
- Drunk driving: As mentioned, drunk drivers receive special notice from CDC in terms of the danger they represent to people on bikes.
- Distraction: Distractions leave motorists especially ill-prepared to accommodate bicyclists in their midst safely.
- Exhaustion: The more sleep-deprived a driver is, the less aware they are.
- Aggression: Aggressive drivers make it their mission to drive dangerously, and bicyclists can pay the ultimate price.
- Excess speed: Excess speed is a double-edged sword in the sense that it increases the risk that an accident will happen and increases the risk that the associated injuries will prove fatal.
Motorists are responsible for allowing the safe passage of everyone with whom they share the road, and this includes taking the special precautions necessary to accommodate those on bikes.
Compensation for a Georgia Bicycle Accident
The losses you experience as a result of being injured by a motorist’s negligence in a bike accident can be difficult to overstate and can include all the following:
- Property damage to your bike
- Ongoing medical expenses
- Lost income and earning potential
- Physical and psychological pain and suffering
A critical component of your claim is ensuring that every category of loss you endure is well accounted for, and a skilled bicycle accident lawyer can help you with that.
Defending Your Legal Rights
Having a skilled bicycle accident lawyer in your corner helps to ensure that your legal rights will be well protected throughout the claims process and improves your ability to obtain just compensation that covers your full range of physical, financial, and emotional losses.
In fact, your lawyer will ably take on all the following primary tasks in defense of your claim:
- Communicating with the involved insurance company to help ensure they do not coax a damaging statement out of you, which is a common practice
- Gathering and skillfully compiling evidence, including eyewitness testimony, in their focused effort to craft your strongest claim
- Deftly highlighting your complete losses
- Capably negotiating a settlement that honors your rights and best interests
- Preparing to take the insurance company to court in the event that it veers away from good faith practices
You Can Afford an Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorney
Most reputable bicycle accident lawyers do not get paid unless the claim in question prevails with either a settlement or court award. At that time, your lawyer will receive a prearranged percentage of your compensation, which means there is no financial risk for you.
Contact a Trusted Georgia Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
At The Larrison Law Firm Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorneys, we have the experience, focus, and compassion to help guide your bike accident claim toward its most beneficial outcome while safeguarding your rights and best interests along the way. Our trusted legal team is on your side and here to help.